Discover the fine art of Italian Espresso. From lattes to cappuccinos, we'll show you how easy it is to make the perfect espresso and other authentic favorites - no barista required! All you need is the fine taste of Medaglia dOro® coffee and your kitchen.
Making the Perfect Espresso
Espresso with a foamy layer known as "schiuma" is made under very high pressure in espresso machines with brass boilers. A simpler approach for enjoying espresso at home the Italian way is with a traditional Italian Moka Steam Pot. Choose a machine to browse our preparation tips.
French Roast Coffee
- Combine 2 tablespoons Medaglia d'Oro coffee and 3 tablespoons regular ground coffee.
- Measure 5 ½ cups cold water.
- Brew in coffeemaker according to manufacturer's instructions.
- Serve with cream and sugar, if desired.
For Americano coffee, use 1 to 2 tablespoons Medaglia d'Oro coffee and 6 fl oz cold water for each coffee cup.
- Use 1 to 2 tablespoons of Medaglia d'Oro coffee and 3 ounces of fresh, cold water for each demitasse cup.
- Brew in any espresso maker according to manufacturer's instructions.
- Serve with sugar and a twist of lemon peel, if desired.
- Add 4 to 6 fl oz warm milk to 2 fl oz prepared hot Medaglia d'Oro espresso (do not bring milk to a boil).
- Top with whipped cream, if desired. Sprinkle with ground nutmeg.
- Heat 1/3 cup milk until hot (do not boil).
- Combine hot milk and 1/3 cup hot brewed Medaglia d'Oro espresso in coffee cup.
- Top with frothed milk or whipped cream. Sprinkle with grated chocolate or ground cinnamon.
Stove Top "Moka" Pot
- Fill the bottom boiler chamber of steam pot with cold water. (Do not exceed water level line.)
- Place metal filter on top; fill with ground espresso, without pressing down.
- Screw on top chamber of steam pot; place on stove over medium heat. As the water begins to boil, steam pot will begin to gurgle. When pot begins to steam, remove pot from stove. Let stand 5 minutes. Serve hot.
- Spoon 2 to 3 teaspoons sugar into coffee cup.
- Prepare brewed espresso. Add 1 to 2 drops espresso to sugar in cup.
- Blend sugar and espresso until sugar begins to dissolve.
- Fill cup with additional espresso and stir.
- Heat 4 to 6 fl oz of milk per serving.
- Prepare brewed espresso; pour into coffee cup, filling cup about half full.
- Add warm milk to espresso.
- Use approximately 2 to 4 fl oz of milk per serving. Once steamed, the milk will triple in volume.
- Steam milk using the frother attachment on your cappuccino machine or a separate steamer, until milk has a nice, thick foam on top.
- Place steamed milk in coffee cup before adding the brewed espresso.
- Pour brewed espresso directly through the center of foam.
Some Traditions Stay Fresh For Generations